Verona - Location
Verona is in the Veneto Region of Italy, on the Milano-Venice train line, 70 miles west of Venice. There is a small airport just outside of Verona. (Locate Verona on a map of the Veneto)
Attractions Near Verona
Lake Garda is nearby. Other nearby towns worth a visit are Cremona, Brescia, and Vincenza. Verona can be part of a Suggested Travel Itinerary - Milano and the Lakes Region to Venice by Train
- Arena di Verona - a 2000 year old Roman Arena and it's still going strong. The opera stage is the largest in the world. In the summer months the arena hosts opera and other performances. Make sure you get tickets early. A good source of tickets and a performance calendar is found on Select Italy's Arena de Verona (book tickets direct with Select Italy).
- 2 Bridges (ponti) Visit the Ponte Scaligero for a beautiful view, and the Ponte Pietra, a roman era bridge over the Adige river.
- Juliet's House (Casa de Giulietta). Ok, we're not even sure that Shakespeare ever visited and the characters come from a story by Luigi da Porto of Vicenza but hey, you can rub the right breast of Juliet's statue for luck and take a picture of the balcony like everybody else, eh?
- Piazza dei Signori - a central square including a statue of Dante because he resided in Verona for a while.
- Piazza delle Erbe- It used to be the Roman Forum but now its a wonderful open air market surrounded by historic buildings with frescoes and peppered with sculptures. Go here for a cheap meal. And if you desire to see Verona from above, head up the Lamberti tower to get 84 meters above Verona.
- Castelvecchio (the Old Castle) Beautiful Views and an interesting art collection inside.
More Verona Attractions
See Italy Travel's picks for Top Verona Attractions.
Verona Italy Pictures
See my video, called Romantic Verona.
Where to Stay in Verona
For those who prefer traditional hotel lodging, see our recommended hotels: Top User-Rated Hotels in Verona. For families, groups of friends, or for those who'd enjoy taking part in the life of the Veronese, a vacation rental house or apartment might be a better choice, especially if you're planning a stay of a week or more. HomeAway lists some very interesting properties, including some in Juliet's Courtyard and one inside a 15th century castle tower: see Verona Vacation Rentals (book direct).
Over 60 budget hotels and hostels are listed at HostelWorld (book direct).
Verona Weather and Historic Climate
Want to know when to go to Verona? Verona, Italy Weather