Maps and Pictures - European Travel Maps and Photo Tours
By James Martin, About.com Guide
- Pictures of Top European Cities
- Virtual Tours of Europe's Best Castles and Monuments
- Maps of Europe
- European Country Maps
- Region Maps
- Rail Maps of Europe | Rail Passes
- European Regions - Maps of Recommended Regions
- Interesting Archaeological Sites You've Probably Never Heard Of
Pictures of Top European Cities
Here you'll find pictures and photo tours of Europe's top cities including Paris, London, and Rome, the cornerstones of the European grand tour.
Virtual Tours of Europe's Best Castles and Monuments
Usually the best palaces and castles are outside the major cities. Here are some of Europe's most impressive places to visit, many in the countryside.
- Agrigento (Sicily) Greek Temples
- Avignon and the Palace of the Popes
- Chartres, France, and the Chartres Cathedral
Maps of Europe
Here you'll find maps of Europe including European distances and transportation maps.
European Country Maps
Maps of European countries showing the best cities to visit and annotated with basic travel information like currency, hotels, transportation and tipping.
- Ireland Map
- Denmark Map
- Scandinavia Map
- England Map - Top Attractions
- Scotland Map - Top Attractions
- Western Turkey Map
Many of Europe's countries are divided into regions. Italy, for example, has 20 regions including the one you hear most about, Tuscany. Each region offers its own cuisine and sometimes its own architectural details.
Rail Maps of Europe | Rail Passes
The short distances between major destinations make train travel in Europe a top transportation choice. Choosing the right rail pass makes train traveling simpler and (usually) less expensive.
European Regions - Maps of Recommended Regions
Here are the maps of regions I prefer. Tuscany, Bavaria and Andalucia make the "must see" versions of almost everyone's list. They're compelling places, loaded with things to see. They have good public transportation systems, and are loaded with tourists in the Summer.
- Alentejo Region of Portugal
- Andalucia Map - Southern Spain
- Asturias and Cantabria Coasts - Northern Spain
- Bavaria, Germany
- Campania, Italy
- Loire Valley Map - Chateau Country in France
- The Dordogne Region, France
- Tuscany, Northern Italy
- Brittany, France
Interesting Archaeological Sites You've Probably Never Heard Of
The ancient Romans, Greeks, Celts and Etruscans built to last. So there's lots of interesting remains to see in Europe, from the impressive Roman way station built halfway between Rome and the coast called Alba Fucens, a Greco-Roman Site on the Costa Brava called Empuries, a Roman - Celtic settlement called Numantia, which figures big-time in the Roman Conquest of Spain, to Sao Cucufate, a huge Roman farm in Portugal's Alentejo region, reused in medieval times.