Plan Your European Trip - Europe Travel Planning Guide
By James Martin
- New to Europe Travel? Here's Where to Start Planning Your Dream Vacation
- The Best of Europe - Top Destinations for the First Time Traveler
- How Big is Europe? How Far is it to...
- Things You Didn't Know You Could Do on Your European Vacation
New to Europe Travel? Here's Where to Start Planning Your Dream Vacation
Here you'll find basic travel planning information. Our Europe Travel 101 will give you a time line to follow in planning your trip, from dreaming to leaving. Our planning and distance measuring tools will give you an idea of how far things are apart, so you can plan the way you're going to get around Europe.
- Europe Travel 101
- European Travel Planning Map
- European Distances
- European Trip Planning Itinerary - Before You Go
The Best of Europe - Top Destinations for the First Time Traveler
Everyone wants to visit undiscovered destinations. But some places are popular because they are so compelling they deserve to be popular. These "best" destinations are the places first time traveler to Europe should consider.
- Europe's Best Big Cities
- The Italian "Big Three" plus Madrid
- Top Nude Beaches - Always Popular in Europe
How Big is Europe? How Far is it to...
When you're planning your European Vacation, it's good to know how big the countries of Europe are, and the distances between the major cities. We have several visual ways to let you get the big picture of Europe, from our Europe vs. US overlay map, to our driving distances calculator and map.
- Europe vs. US Size Comparison Map
- Driving Distances between Major Cities in Western Europe
- Distance and Rail Times Map of Europe
- Driving Distance between Major Cities in Germany
Things You Didn't Know You Could Do on Your European Vacation
Climb a volcano? Drive a race course? Drink wine made exactly like the Romans Made it 2000 years ago? All possible. Check out these engaging activities while planning your vacation.
- Climb Mount Vesuvius
- Drive the Legendary Nurburgring
- Stay and Do Mosaic Work in a Mosaic Tile Foundry in Venice
- Visit the Marquis de Sade's Chateaux
- Drink Wine Made the Roman Way in Portugal - Vinho de Talha
- Get Married in a Monastic Outpost in Umbria, Italy - La Preghiera
European countries have very good public transportation. This section will help you figure out how to get to Europe and how to travel in Europe, including train, airplane, and car travel.
- Should You Take the Train or Drive?
- Driving in Europe, Car Renting and Leasing
- Should You Travel by Train or Air Within Europe?
Where to Stay In Europe
Ok, you're thinking "hotels," aren't you? But today's traveler has many more options for where to sleep--from renting a cottage in the Alps to staying on a farm to sleeping in dungeon.
- Booking Hotels - How to Get the Best Deals on Lodging in Europe
- A Week in Paradise - Self Catering in Rural Europe
- What do Hotel Stars Mean in Europe?
- Guides to Lodging in European Monasteries
Types of Travel and Travelers
All sorts of things go into making a successful travel plan, including the compatibility of those traveling together. Here you'll find out about those little things in travel planning that you might not think about, as well as some travel history and philosophy.
- Is a Day Trip Really Worth It?
- Deep Travel - Taking Your Time to Get to Know a Place
- The Grand Tour of Europe Revisited
- Footloose Travel - Planning Tips for Flexible European Travel
- Your Travel Personality - Avoiding Conflicts When Vacation Planning
- Your Kids - Why it is Important for Youth to Travel
- Dining Alone - Tips for Solo Travel
How you pay for things on your European vacation has changed over the years. Travelers checks are out (although you can use them as backups in an emergency) and plastic is in. The ins and outs of using credit cards, debit cards, and ATM cards in Europe.