In a city where a kebab from a questionable-looking stand can top $15, finding an affordable sit-down meal is certainly a challenge. Generally, the university area of Plainpalais is a good bet.
Cheap Eats - Affordable Sit-Down Meals in Geneva
- Buvette des Bains; quai du Mont-Blanc 30, +41 22 738 1616; Probably the best deal in town. Office workers in the know flock to this eatery on the jetty by the lake for its daily lunch specials for CHF 12.
- Chez ma cousine; rue Lissignol 5, +41 22 731 9898; They do one thing and they do it right: chicken and fries. The outdoors terrace is a great place to watch the people go by in this Old Town establishment.
- Carosello; Boulevard Georges-Favon 25, +41 22 328 5640; Good pizzas, and the daily special (pizza with salad) goes for around CHF 15.
- Manora, Rue de Cornavin 6, +41 22 909 41 11; Self-service cafeteria on the top floor of department store Manor. A wide choice, complete with a panoramic view of the city.
- Boky, rue des Alpes 21,+41 78 628 16 99; Some praise its extensive Chinese menu, some say it's gross, but one thing's indisputable: It's hard to find a cheaper dinner in the city center than here.