Although many consider Austrians to be a formal and rather conservative people, the extent of nudity in Austrian culture may surprise the visitor to Austria. As is many European countries, nudity is more prevalent on television and films in Austria than it is in the US.
There is also a flourishing naturism movement in Austria. As in Germany, the free body culture, called Freikörperkultur, has a large following. You're likely to see signs of it even if you're not looking for nudes; "FKK" printed on a sign or stenciled on a wall or sidewalk indicates "Freikörperkultur" or nudist areas. An "FKK strand" is a nude beach.
Where to Find Nude Beaches and Naturist Parks in Austria
Now that you know the lingo of nudity in Austria, you'll have to deal with the language. The official FKK site is only in German, but you might find information on visiting a naturist park or nude beach by scrolling down and looking at the map.
I've found five web sites, the first four in English that might help you plan a naturist vacation in Austria.
- Naturistenpark Lobau - describes itself as "a family-style naturist club located in the outskirts of Vienna. We invite national and international guests (of the international naturist-federation) to spend a relaxing vacation with us, we have a generous number of sites for tents and RVs."
- Rutar Lido - A naturist holiday village in Eberndorf (near Klagenfurt) with nudist beach, camp site and winter camp with indoor swimming pool
- Camping Pesenthein - 220 van and tent site on several terrace levels, each affording a view of Lake Millstätter in central Austria.
- Gästehaus Lührmann claims to be the only naturist hotel in Austria. You'll have to be "equipped" to go in the restaurant or reception areas, but in Summer you can be naked in the swimming pool, sauna and steam bath, park, terrace and in the winter you can get naked in the swimming pool, sauna and steam bath.
- FKK Camping Sabotnik - The site is in German, but it's easy to understand and has lots of pictures of the operation.
- Looking for nudism in Vienna? We have a map that shows the Vienna FKK Nude Beach Location. While not a sandy beach, the south east Donauinsel in Vienna is right on the Danube and is a designated FKK nudism area. You can even dine nude, according to Wolfgang, who sends detailed notes on the location.
More Notes on Nudity in Austria
Wikitravel Austria says: Nudity is compulsory in Austria's many nude beaches (FKK Strand), health spas and hotel saunas.
This warning is not to be taken lightly. An Ananova article from 2003 reports:
A fight which broke out between nudists and prudish sunbathers has ended in a court case after a man's cheekbone was smashed in the brawl. The 32-year-old man and a friend refused to take off their swimming trunks in the nudist area of the popular Lobau region in Vienna, Austria.
So, be careful out there. Wear sunscreen.
Additional Naturism Resources in Europe Near Austria
Germany's Best Nude Beaches - from Germany Travel